No other pair of droids will have you sitting on a fence like these two. Alright, a bold statement indeed. But if anything in it is to be taken literally, it’s the fence. In the end though, home turf for both, this isn’t about which side has the greener lawn.
LG is once again challenging longtime rivals Samsung and it’s phablets where this battle reaches epic proportions. Last year, LG took its sweet time to respond to the Galaxy Note 2 and the long wait was well worth it. The G Pro was a remarkable device, no less impressive despite LG’s failure to properly monetize on their lead.
With a rematch at hand, it looks like the same scenario all over again, but it’s not that straightforward. Yes, it’s another five months between them, but LG will have to try harder this time. They set their own bar quite high to begin with, while Samsung will certainly not see another victory slip through its fingers. The Galaxy Note 3 has seen a lot of battles, but this one is more personal than ever.
Let’s see what both companies have in store for one another.
LG G Pro 2 over the Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- A little more screen real estate
- Optical image stabilization
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat out of the box
- Rear-mounted buttons are cool
- Better screen surface size to footprint ratio
- High-quality True IPS+ LCD display
- Matches most Samsung proprietary software features
- Knock on and Knock code
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 over the LG G Pro 2
- Pressure-sensitive S-Pen stylus input and relevant software
- Superior battery life
- High-quality SuperAMOLED+ display
- Samsung proprietary software features
In terms of hardware, the two phablets are nearly identical. From the FullHD display and Snapdragon 800 chipset, to the 3200mAh battery and imaging – each of them does 13MP stills and 4K videos, and does them well .
Devices at HQ
This means we have to look way beyond the spec sheets to draw the line, so let’s get right to it.