The Samsung Galaxy S5 is official – and it’s not what we expected. Rumors got a few details right, but not the whole picture, obviously. After so many updates and sequels to the S4, it’s perhaps not all that surprising that the S5 feels like a small step forward.
Samsung Galaxy S5 at a glance:
- Form factor: Water-resistant bar phone, IP67 certification
- General: 2G, 3G and 4G LTE connectivity
- Dimensions: 142 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145 g
- Display: 5.1″ 16M-color Super AMOLED HD capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels (431ppi)
- Chipset: Snapdragon 801 MSM8974-AC
- CPU: 2.5GHz Krait 400
- GPU: Adreno 330
- RAM: 2GB
- OS: Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)
- Memory: 16/32GB storage, microSD card slot
- Still camera: 16 megapixel auto-focus camera
- Video camera: UHD (2160p) video recording
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB 3.0 with MHL, GPS receiver with A-GPS and GLONASS, 3.5mm audio jack, NFC, Infrared port
- Battery: 2800mAh
- Heart rate monitor
- Fingerprint scanner
- Additional sensors: humidity sensor, temperature sensor
The screen grew up only a bit and it kept the 1080p resolution rather than going to QHD.
The camera does, however, record UHD video – Samsung’s initial information was for 1080p, but we can now confirm it’s really 4K UHD (2160p).
Samsung does maintain the clockspeed advantage with a rare Snapdragon 800 chipset and while the fingerprint scanner was no surprise, the heart rate monitor certainly is.
TouchWiz was a bit of a surprise too. We got pumped up for a brand new flat version of Samsung’s custom UI, but the reality is closer to what we saw on the new Galaxy Pro tablets.
Samsung Galaxy S5
The back of the device is a new iteration of Samsung’s leather-like plastic, with what looks like perforated holes. It only looks like it though, the Galaxy S5 is IP67 certified – we don’t expect to see a Galaxy S5 Active.
Like we said, the Samsung Galaxy S5 is in part what we expected and a bit of a surprise. What is it though that sets it apart from the Galaxy S4 Advance with the leather back?